Setting up your new apartment? Or just redesigning your old one? Either way, if you are looking for some beautiful and elegant wall shelves which will match your color theme and be the perfect new home for all your hand-picked artwork - we have got it all sorted out for you.
With the advancement of technology and the expansion of the market, you’ve got wall shelves of a hundred different varieties, which is not always a good thing. You can easily get lost in the huge sea of wall shelves without ever finding the one. Scary, right? To avoid that nightmare, you should have a working knowledge of the different kinds of shelving systems upon which all the different designs are based. And also which shelf goes in what room - which might seem pretty unchallenging but is very very important to know. We have done the difficult, researching part for you, and present to you this very comprehensive guide all about wall shelves- types, styling and our favorite recommendations from Limeroad- which will definitely assist you in finding the perfect wall shelves for your home!
Types of Shelving Systems
Before we hop on to shelving systems, we’d like to draw your attention to the two very basic types of shelves:
- Open: Open shelves , as the name suggests do not have any covering in front of them, and the contents are totally visible. This is the type of shelf which is becoming increasingly popular nowadays in every home because of the type of chic elegance it provides to the homes. It may/may not be suitable for your home if you have kids who could potentially knock down the contents, but you can always fix them at a safe distance. This type of shelf is a must have if you want a classy, chic and sophisticated vibe in your home or office.
- Closed: Closed shelves have a wooden or glass covering attached to them, which completely covers the content( in case of wooden covering) and/or still allows on to see the contents inside ( with glass coverings). They’re perfect if you want to display precious items which you want to keep safe. A glass covered shelf is very common in homes, because it still allows you to see the items whilst keeping it safe.
Let’s take a look at five main types of shelving systems:
Fixed Shelving: This is the most standard type of shelving we’re all familiar with. These types of shelves come pre attached to the walls and can not be repositioned with tools, thus fixed.
Adjustable Shelving: the shelves in this one are movable. This type of shelving is easy to reconfigure according to your needs. They can be installed flat or angled to easily showcase things like shoes.
Corner Shelving: A life saver when it comes to small spaced apartments, they can easily fit in the corners and still look adorably cute. There are four types of corner shelving-
- 90 degree angled
- Curved Corner Cut
- Angled Corner Cut
- Rotating shelf
Pull Out Shelving: this type of shelf moves forward and backwards like a regular drawer. It is great to save space and fit a lot of things in a small space. There are four types of pull out shelves:
- Pull out Sweater
- Pantry Pull out
- Accessories pull out
Floating shelves: The official ‘it’ trend of 2018, floating shelves are chic, minimalist and elegant. Visually they take up a lot less space and channel a contemporary vibe to space. The only drawback is that it has some restrictions on the amount of weight it can carry- which differs from shelf to shelf. Nevertheless, these shelves are a great investment option for a chic and elegant space.
Styling Dos and Don’ts
Say you’ve bought your favorite types of shelves and arranged them on the walls- now it’s time for styling. This is where a lot of people go wrong which spoils the look of even the most elegant and expensive shelves. To avoid those mistakes, keep on reading.
Books are perfect to display.
- This may seem obvious, but books are a perfect display material. Arrange them horizontally or vertically, with or without plants, with book stoppers and antique ornaments to make your living room look absolutely artsy.Less is not more!
- This popular mantra of less is more does NOT apply to shelves. Long, bare shelves are not pretty to look at. Instead of copying some art gallery format, arrange your shelves how you would want them to! Bring out your personality, your eccentricity to your shelves. The only thing to remember is balance. Choose the one layer which is going to be the focal point, and keep the rest of them relatively simple ( but not bare) in order to avoid clutter. Fill your shelves with artwork, plants, pottery, plants, books, or whatever your thing may be.Keep in mind: Variety and Contrast
- Mix different things, things that “don’t go together”, things that remind you of your childhood, things that make you feel something. Mix old and new, hard and soft, black and white. This will create drama and get people talking.
Tell your story
- The foolproof way to make your place unique is to tell a story- your story, without saying a word! Say it with the display on your shelves. A gorgeous piece of jewelry that you picked up at a place, alongside a map of that place is a good place to start.
Styling and Recommendations
Now we bring to you, our favorite recommendations from Limeroad’s amazing collection of wall shelves and the different ways to style it. The colors of the shelves you buy will totally depend on your home’s color themes so feel free to customize them.
Elegant Neutrals: A good place to start is neutrals- hues of brown, black and nude, which go with every type of color setting. These brown wooden intersecting storage wall shelves by Woodworld is a perfect pick due to its high durability, extreme versatility, and sophistication. It’s perfect for displaying eccentric knick knacks and beautiful plants and artwork. The rustic feel to it will definitely add charm to your home.
If you want a vertical shelf for displaying books, this brown laminated wall shelf cum rack with 5 tiers by Woodworld is perfectly suited for the task.
This next one is best if you want to tone down bright yellow walls and make them look more homely and artsy. The home deco brown hexagon shaped wall shelves, set of three by Royals Wood does exactly that. Place it on your walls and get ready to have the most charming walls ever.
If you’re looking for something more eccentric and bold, then this hash shaped wooden multi-utility floating wall shelf by ECraftIndia is made for you. Another favorite is this beautiful wooden and wrought iron wall bracket by Online shoppe. This uniquely crafted wall bracket will definitely channel charming cafe vibes in your home. Hang it outside on the balcony and put some plants on it to have the most pretty balcony ever.
Cheery and Colorful: if you like lots of colors around you, then we’ve got some amazing pieces for you. This set of 6 cube rectangle designer wall shelves by Woodworld in orange and rust orange provides not only a lot of space to display your collections but the color contrast gives it a charming feel. This is a perfect option to perk up some dull spaces.
You can never go wrong with monochromatic. That is why we bring to you this gorgeous black and white wooden intersecting storage wall shelves (pack of 2) by Sunshine Wood. hang it on colorful walls or neutral walls, and it will look equally amazing.
Display your collections in style and wow everyone with these royals wood home decor hexagon shaped storage wall shelves in pink and white by Royals Wood. This is spacious, sturdy, durable, gorgeous, sophisticated- basically everything and more you can ask for in a shelf!
A minimal but classy pick is this hexagon shaped storage wall shelf in black and orange by Woodworld. This is going to channel some major classy vibes.
Carved Greatness: If you like to go the extra mile and opt for beautiful and carved shelves- we’ve got some major steals for you! This absolutely pristine and beautiful white carved folding shelf by Home Sparkle is a must for you. Place some plants on it and make your walls look exquisite.
Another favorite is this engineered wood carved home shelf in blood orange by Home Sparkle. This provides a lot more space, is durable, sturdy and is gorgeous to look at.
If you want to utilize every inch of your home, this set of 2 engineered wood carved corner wall shelf in white by
Home Sparkle should be on top of your shopping list. This will gauge up your corners in the most beautiful way possible.
If you liked our styling tips and recommendations be sure to check out Limeroad’s stunning collection of wall shelves at amazing prices and offers!
Related search terms: wall shelves, shelf, shelves, corner shelf, wall shelf design, wooden shelves, wall mounted shelves, wooden wall, shelves, wall bookshelves, kitchen wall shelves, wall shelves online